Thursday, December 17, 2009

How it all happened...

So my first post was a bit hurried. I was just excited to start a blog. I didn't put too much thought or information in it. These next few posts are dedicated to filling in all the gapping holes of how I am currently living in Turkey and playing professional hockey.

So let's start from the beginning. Kara Leene and I played hockey together at Colgate University. Her good friend from home, Brittany O'Brien, and her boyfriend, Tyler Bilton, were the first to hear about the opportunity to play in the league over here. Tyler has been here since early October, and Brittany since the end of October. Men's teams are allowed five import players, and women's teams two. Brittany tried to recruit Kara to join her here, she declined because she thought DC offered many more cultural experiences. She is a small town girl from Vermont and never having experienced the bright lights of such a large city as Washington DC, I understand. With Kara declining the offer, it opened the door for me. If Kara would have taken the offer, the team would have fulfilled their limit of two foreigners, leaving me in San Francisco. :(

Conversation between Kara and I began at the end of October. She mentioned it on the phone, but it wasn't until we hung up that I realized I would be stupid not to explore the option more. She e-mailed Brittany for me. Brittany and I started talking a few weeks later while I was visiting my brother, Jack, in Mississippi, where he is currently playing professional hockey. Brittany told the GM of our team, Baskent Yildizlari, I was interested in joining the team. He e-mailed me on Thanksgiving Day (something I gave thanks for!) saying the team wants me. His English isn't the best so my communication about arrangements all went through Brittany and Tyler. I'm forever grateful they were here, I don't think I would be here without them.

I made my travel arrangements to leave the following Thursday, only one week after I had heard the news! I took a permanent leave from my job and said goodbye to all my friends, old and new. I was off on another adventure, without a care in the world. First stop, Hamilton, NY!

Although I had heard the hockey in Turkey wasn't first class, I decided I still needed to skate a few times before making my professional hockey debut. Colgate University, my home away from home. There, I knew I would have readily accessible ice and other people willing to skate with, not to mention the tools needed if I had any gear problems. It was also nice that I saw my team play, I saw friends and faculty still there, and other alumni were back the same weekend.

I accomplished a lot while I was there. I watched our women's hockey team play Friday and Saturday, tailgating with the parents on both occasions. The team won Friday and lost Saturday. I had dinner with other CWIH alum and our trainer. I skated with a couple of the freshmen. I attempted, and miserably failed, to run. I played a game of three-on-three with current players, from both the men's and women's teams. I made dinner for all the girls that I played with while I was there. I played in a club hockey game. I shared meals with current non-hockey playing people. And much much more.

What's in store next for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment