Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Stuck in a rut…

December 15, 2009

Ever feel like you are in a rut? Like you’re stuck in something that feels nearly impossible to crawl out of? That rut is sleeping in late here. It’s nearly impossible to pry myself from the couch, that I call my bed, before noon. The sun sets around 5pm here. If I’m lucky enough to wake up by noon, I get five hours of light. If I’m not so lucky, I get less. The morning sun (or should I say light, because there is a lack of sun here) can pour into the room early without notice from my sleeping eyes. Multiple calls to prayer happen, while I’m still dreaming. A new foreign life experience is passing me by, and I’m too lazy to take notice.

It doesn’t sound like such a terrible rut, especially because it’s only my fourth day here, but once a habit forms it takes time to break. The first two days, I reasoned that it was jet lag and the lack of sleep I endured while at Colgate. But really, how long can I use those excuses? Not much longer than today.

So I’ll offer up one more excuse to reason with myself. The men’s team practices late, either practice starts at 12:30am or 1:30am. I live with three men’s players. So even if I wanted to go to bed early, they would wake me up either on their way to practice or when they got home, or more likely both. I’m in a tough situation, and it’ll take one smart cookie (i.e. me) to find my way out.

Will I ever break this cycle? Or will my duration of life in Turkey be lived in a voluntary shade of darkness?

No comments:

Post a Comment