Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Random Encounters…

December 19, 2009

I was on my computer sitting in Shoppe, the internet café we frequent and it also happens to be in the rink. This older man, probably in his fifties, came up to me and started speaking Turkish. I just looked at him confused and said, “I don’t speak Turkish.” He in return said, “I know.” Haha.

He then sat down with me and started to speak perfect English. He was just in Pacifica, California for an extended period of time. Pacifica is twenty minutes south of San Francisco. I don’t know why he was there, but I just moved from SF, so it was quite the coincidence.

This where is gets really funny. He asked about health insurance in California. He had Kaiser Permanente insurance while in the states. I was on my computer and he just jumped right in, asked me to look up and see if he could get their insurance here in Turkey. We were talking so I gave him my full attention, trying not to be rude by continuing my work on the computer. When I gave him my full attention, he would point to my computer and say, you can look it up, please continue looking. So I tried to carry on a conversation while looking up information for him. After a bit, he said I’ll be right back but please continue looking up the information.

I thought it was absolutely hilarious. He was trying to be nice to me, but really just being pushy. After I got the information for him, he said please e-mail me the website so I can e-mail Kaiser and tell them to cover overseas. I e-mailed him; he thanked me. Then he told me he would have his wife drive me around Ankara and left.

How many other random encounters will I have?

No comments:

Post a Comment